Felton Fire Protection District
Felton Fire and Kidde lauches ‘Beat the Beep’ campaign to educate residents on carbon monoxide alarm replacement.
Alarms installed after Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act nearing expiration.
Felton, CA (September 2018) – Felton Fire Protection District and Kidde together launch the ‘Beat the Beep’ campaign to educate San Lorenzo Valley residents about the importance of identifying when a carbon monoxide (CO) alarm needs to be replaced.
The campaign coincides with the seven-year anniversary of California Senate Bill 183, commonly known as the Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act, which went into effect statewide on July 1, 2011. The law requires all single-family homes with an attached garage or fossil fuel source to install CO alarms within the home.
Because the sensors in CO alarms have a limited lifespan, alarms purchased across the state of California in 2011 may start sounding an end-of-life warning beep at some point this year, indicating the sensor in the unit is no longer operating. When a CO alarm enters its end-of-life mode, residents should replace it with a new unit immediately.
“Many people hear their alarms beeping and think they simply need to change the battery,” said Pam Hoppel, managing director, Kidde. “Now that seven years has passed since the California CO alarm legislation went into effect, we want to make sure residents understand what this beeping means: the entire unit needs to be replaced as soon as possible. In spreading this important message across California, we hope to alleviate any frustration and, most importantly, keep people safe from the harmful effects of CO.”
Carbon monoxide is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in America, not related to drugs. According to the Centers for Disease Control, unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning in the United States leads to more than 400 deaths and 50,000 emergency room visits each year.
To learn more about CO safety, visit beatthebeep.com.