Felton Fire Protection District

Category Archives: News

Generator Safety

Downed utility lines, power company blackouts, heavy snow falls or summer storms can all lead to power outages. Many people turn to a portable generator for a temporary solution without knowing the risks.

  • Generators should be used in well ventilated locations outside at least 5 feet (1.5 metres) away from all doors, windows, and vent openings. Measure the 5-foot (1.5 metres) distance from the generator exhaust system to the building.
  • Never use a generator in an attached garage, even with the door open.
  • Place generators so that exhaust fumes can’t enter the home through windows, doors or other openings in the building. The exhaust must be directed away from the building.
  • Make sure to install carbon monoxide (CO) alarms in your home. Follow manufacturer’s instructions for correct placement and mounting height.
  • Turn off generators and let them cool down before refueling. Never refuel a generator while it is hot.
  • Store fuel for the generator in a container that is intended for the purpose and is correctly labeled as such. Store the containers outside of living areas.

Just Remember…

When plugging in appliances, make sure they are plugged directly into the generator or a heavy duty outdoor-rated extension cord. The cords should be checked for cuts, tears and that the plug has all three prongs, especially a grounding pin.

If you must connect the generator to the house wiring to power appliances, have a qualified electrician install a properly rated transfer switch in accordance with the National Electrical Code® (NEC) and
all applicable state and local electrical codes.

FACT

A person can be poisoned by a small amount of CO over a longer period of time or by a large amount of CO over a shorter amount of time.

Click here to download a PDF version of this flyer if you would like to print it or share it with someone.

Carbon Monoxide Alarm Replacement

Felton Fire and Kidde lauches ‘Beat the Beep’ campaign to educate residents on carbon monoxide alarm replacement. Alarms installed after Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act nearing expiration. Felton, CA (September 2018) – Felton Fire Protection District and Kidde together launch the ‘Beat the Beep’ campaign to educate San Lorenzo Valley residents about the importance of identifying when… Continue Reading

PG&E Accelerates Vegetation Work in Santa Cruz County

SCOTTS VALLEY, Calif.— In response to the recent and dramatically increasing wildfire threat in our state, Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) is accelerating its vegetation management work in Santa Cruz County to further reduce the risk of wildfire and keep our customers, their families and our communities safe. According to CAL FIRE and the… Continue Reading

Felton Fire, serving the community for decades

Source: Press Banner Many in Felton still miss the noon-time testing of the WWII-vintage civil defense fire siren that was discontinued back in 2016 after it got stuck on “on” and truly alarmed the community, according to long-time Fire Chief Ron Rickabaugh.  Although the noon-time fire siren became something of a small town tradition, special… Continue Reading

National Electrical Safety Month

Flipping a light switch. Plugging in a coffeemaker. Charging a laptop or iPhone. These actions are second nature for most of us. Electricity makes our lives easier, but its potential for shock and fire-related hazards are often taken for granted. That is why the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) actively supports National Electrical Safety Month, an annual… Continue Reading

Grilling Safety

When the warmer weather hits, there’s nothing better than the smell of food on the grill. Seven out of every 10 adults in the U.S. have a grill or smoker*, which translates to a lot of tasty meals. But it also means there’s an increased risk of home fires. In 2011 – 2015, fire departments… Continue Reading

2018 Basic Firefighter Academy Graduation

Following an intensive, four month long academy, BFFA (Basic Firefighter Academy) 2018 graduated May 8th, representing Boulder Creek Fire, Ben Lomond Fire, Felton Fire, Zayante Fie, County Fire, Branciforte Fire, Scotts Valley Fire and Central Fire. Our very own Tyler Mangan, Nina Lavelle, Tori Hawkins and Adrian Chairez joins the ranks of firefighter! We are… Continue Reading

Put a Freeze on Winter Fires

Home fires occur more in winter than in any other seasons. As you stay cozy and warm this winter season, be fire smart! Half of all home heating fires occur in the months of December, January and February. Heating equipment is involved in every 1 in every 7 reported home fires and 1 in every… Continue Reading