Felton Fire Protection District
Become a Firefighter
Volunteering with the Felton Fire Protection District
Being a volunteer fire fighter is a rewarding experience. Fire fighters make a difference in the community. Fire fighters come to the aid of persons in times of greatest need. Loss of life and property are often in the balance. Felton fire fighters have and will continue to positively impact the well being of all persons in the Felton Fire Protection District.
Are you interested in becoming a volunteer fire fighter with Felton Fire Protection District? Here is information for your consideration.
- You must be at least 18 years of age
- Possess a valid drivers license
- You must live within 5 miles of the fire station which is located at 131 Kirby Street in Felton or work within the service boundaries of the Felton Fire Protection District
- You must complete and submit an application to the fire district. Applications are available at the station or by clicking here for an application Your application must be completed entirely. Incomplete applications will not be accepted
- Your application will be reviewed by the Fire Chief
- You will be interviewed by a panel of current Felton fire fighters
- You must complete and pass a physical agility exam or present a successful certificate for a Candidate Physical Agility Test (CPAT) taken within the past 12 months
- Complete a medical examination with medical doctor assigned by the fire district
- Complete a Department of Justice criminal history report. Any felony convictions will prohibit you from becoming a fire fighter with the fire district. Any other criminal history, not felony related, will be reviewed and determined individually
- If successful in completing and passing the above items, you will be enrolled in a fire academy. This fire academy runs during the months of February – April. The fire academy includes all fire agencies in Santa Cruz County with volunteer fire fighters. The fire academy is rewarding but time and energy intense. For three months every weekend, with the exception of holidays, and one weekday evening are required to complete the fire academy.
- Interviews for new candidates will be held during the months of October and November. The physical agility test is held on the same day as the interview. These events occur in the fall so that the candidate is ready to begin the fire academy in February.
- Upon successful completion of the fire academy, the candidate may fully participate as a volunteer fire fighter with the fire district
- You must be a team player. Fire fighters work in teams, not alone
- You must have good interpersonal skills and be able to communicate well with others (fellow fire fighters and the public)
- You must be able to keep information private. Details of certain types of emergencies are prohibited by law from sharing
- You must be able to handle physical work, lifting heavy loads, working with tools and equipment, walk or hike distances, climb ladders and be mildly susceptible to poison oak
- You must be able to handle seeing and experiencing traumatic, violent and emotional situations